Thursday, January 29, 2009

I have a new favorite drink, and it's not Kingfisher

Unique to Jodpur, the Makhaniya Lassi is the best drink ever. You start with the standard Lassi base--a strong plain full fat curd (yoghurt) with a little sugar-not too sweet. But instead of adding Mango or Banana or any standard Lassi filler, you add saffron and cardamom. The result is mouth watering and lovely to behold-the saffron leaves traces of bright orange streaked throughout, and the cardamom adds small bright green chunks. Yum! I am very sad that we left Jodpur and can no longer have these yummy lassis.

We made it to Jaisalmer at 5 am today on the train from Jodpur. We've pretty much nailed overnight train travel in India. Necessary supplies:
- Eyemask
- Sleepsack (like a sheet but sleeping bag shaped and sewn up the side-packs down light)
- Wool scarf to double as blanket
- Earplugs
- Tigerbalm (to put under your nose to kill the horrible bathroom smell. Even when we're not in 3rd class, we can't seem to get further than a row away from the bathroom. I mean, the hole in the floor of the train that smells like pee.)

Jaisalmer is lovely and we're hoping to meet up with Seema and friends from NYC who are miraculously traveling our very same India route just a couple of days behind us!

3 comments:

august1971 said...

wow, I'd love to try that lassi. I hope you get to meet up with Seema and Co. Augie

Kim said...

Wow, Antha, what an incredible journey you are on. It's so wonderful to see all your photos and adventures and close my eyes and imagine myself away from my homework....haha.

Hugs,
Kim DeFeo

Lola said...

Kara just forwarded me the link to your blog, I love it! I always appreciated your ability to laugh at the ridiculous and absurd and can imagine you laughing and crying while slathering tiger balm on your upper lip. Love it.